Lead Service Engineer [Elixir]
Build the services, and infrastructure, powering the future of image selection.
While Narrative may not (yet) be at Facebook or Twitter scale, our customers expect us to always be ready to serve their requests. Be it images, and our blog post renderer for their website, or delivering critical information for a users catalog and filesystem. Further, simply serving the request is not enough - it needs to be fast. At Narrative we believe in giving photographers back more of their time. On the services team, we take this to heart. We are looking for a strong, seasoned engineer ready to lead as we scale out our services. In partnership with our applications team, you will architect, validate, build, maintain, and scale the services and infrastructure powering the future of image selection. Further, you will lead, mentor, train, and work alongside our small, but ambitious service engineers.
You might work on:
- Building new APIs for our suite of products, and iterating on existing APIs.
- Designing and building new services to power new product and features.
- Building out systems to manage and secure sensitive data.
- Building new tools for internal management, and insights.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has at least 10 years of experience, building high quality software.
- Has professional experience with Elixir or Erlang technologies.
- Has experience building distributed systems.
- Has a high bar in code quality, and customer experience.
- Is relentless in the face of challenges.
- Has lead a team before, and has experience managing engineers.
- Has exceptional communication, and inter-personal skills.
- Has a passion for growing talent and nurturing growth of all team members.
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS, and cloud computing services.
- Experience with Stripe.
- Experience with distributed data structures, eg. CRDT's.
About our technology:
Narrative operates a pragmatic Data Oriented Architecture. All services are currently written in Elixir, and run in a single, distributed cluster. Services run on barebone EC2 instances in AWS, and code changes flow into the cluster with a modern CI/CD pipeline, using a blue-green approach. Every service, is monitored via logging, custom metrics, and APM. We have a number of custom services and libraries for data management, service and cluster orchestration, and infrastructure management.